Quick and Easy Salted Caramel Butterscotch Sauce
I was first introduced to this sauce in Australia years ago when it adorned the famous Sticky Date Pudding that was as popular on restaurant menus there as Apple pie is here. A simple, yet fancy tasting sauce that works on just about anything that needs a little sweetness and caramel. I adopted it upon my return as my go-to sauce for ice cream, chocolate cake and bread pudding. I love making a big batch of it and putting it in jars to bring as a hostess gift to my tribe during the holidays.
Here are a few tips on making this show stopping sauce can can be used on a myriad of desserts-
- Dark brown sugar will make a darker sauce and there is hardly any flavor difference.
-No thermometer is needed for this recipe, it's a dump and run style recipe that can easily come together after dinner.
- I stock up on shelf stable heavy cream from Trader Joe's for this recipe, then I always have the ingredients on hand to make it.
-This sauce freezes well, just thaw and gently re-heat in the microwave.
Salted Caramel Butterscotch Sauce
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
1. Mix butter, heavy cream and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until dissolved.
2. Bring to a simmer over medium heat until slightly thickened about 2 minutes.
3. Add sea salt to taste, starting with 1/4 teaspoon.
4. Let stand as it will thicken a bit upon standing.
5. Store in refrigerator for a week or freezer up to three months.